14 Well house


Built between 1735 and 1737; with a sandstone vaulted roof built to withstand being fired upon; a roof of granite and pounded cement resting on steel girders was introduced in 1881 to protect the well. The well itself: sunk between 1563 and 1569; 152.5 m deep; water hauled with a horse gin originally, later with a treadmill, from 1871 with a steam engine, from 1912 with an electric motor, and closed down in 1967, since 1998 operational again

(during the winter holidays, from April to October, and during the Advent weekends demonstrations of the restored water supply technology)

Go back