Matthias Hultsch

New armory

Neues Zeughaus

The building is attached to the Gate House and was built in 1631 above the Dark Ramp, first as a banquet hall. In case of an attack, the hatches in its wooden floor could be opened above the only access to the fortress. In 1806, a fire destroyed the roof. Upon its reconstruction in 1816, the building got a bombproof vault and then served as the New Armoury to store weapons and cannons. The Old Armoury already existed at the time.

Festung Königstein gGmbH
01824 Königstein

Phone: +49 (0)35021 64 607

Opening hours

April - October 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
November - March 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Last admission 1 hour before closing time