Christmas mood on the king’s stone
Because of the corona pandemic, the historic-romantic Christmas market cannot take place in this year.
Nevertheless, Königstein Fortress will be decorated for Christmas from 1st December 2020 until 6th January 2021 (only closed on 24th December) – even more beautiful than ever.
- The Dark Ramp, the imposing historic entrance to the fortress, will be illuminated by hundreds of Moravian Stars which will create a fairytale atmosphere.
- The central Parade ground with the giant Christmas pyramid from the Ore Mountains and the extra-long Advent calendar (112 metres) at the Old Barracks will be decorated with fairy lights and Christmas trees.
- On the weekends of Advent the festively decorated Garrison Church will be opened.
In the time between 12:00 and 4.16 p.m. there will take place organ concerts every full hour for 15 minutes.
- The Porcelain Manufactory Meissen and the Meissen Porcelain Foundation present the festively decorated mechanical table (reconstruction of the “table-be-set from 1731) in the baroque hall of Frederick’s castle, where elector August the Strong would have liked to take a seat.
- The fortress wood invites for an idyllic walk around – passing by the Giant Candle Arch with fortress motifs, fairytale characters and numerous shining Moravian stars.
- At the northern side of the fortress, one of the biggest Moravian stars (manufactured by Brüdergemeine Herrnhut) will shine high above the Elbe valley.
These exhibitions will be open within the above mentioned time:
- In Lapide Regis - Large exhibition about the history of Königstein Fortress with Commander’s flat (heated)
- Old Armoury (heated)
- George’s castle (partly heated)
- Well house
- Treasure house
- Cask cellar
- Horse stable
- Crane‘s casemate
Opening hours of Königstein Fortress at the weeekends of Advent:
Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Regular opening hours of Königstein Fortress during the winter season:
Daily from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Last entrance: 4 p.m.
24th December: closed
31st December: 9 a.m. until 3.30 p.m.
1st January: 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.