7 Gate house


Construction started in 1589; over the steps leading up to the plateau; cellar with embrasures for shooting out, upper stories used for residential purposes; the portal was altered between 1729 and 1736; a relief of August the Strong was added in 1910; Ramp defences: wooden gate; machicolation (a gap in the floor through which stones, molten lead, etc, could be thrown down on attackers) and other stone-throwing holes, rabbeted beams, a portcullis, an iron gateway and a caponier (a covered passage above the ditch, see 12 below).

Go back