Formerly, an artillery laboratory stood here. In 1880, it was converted into a Catholic chapel. At the time, numerous Catholics were among the prisoners at the fortress and had to be taken to Pirna, to attend mass, with a considerable effort. In 1951, inmates of the juvenile detention centre (1949 - 1955) continued to remove the already severely damaged chapel. Only its foundation has remained until today.
-
Historical view of the powder magazine (18th century) Festung Königstein gGmbH -
Catholic chapel from the southeast (around 1900) Matthias Hultsch -
Prisoners of war at the Catholic chapel (photo, around 1915) Festung Königstein gGmbH -
View from the west with treasure casemate in the background Festung Königstein gGmbH -
View from northeast Festung Königstein gGmbH -
View from southeast Festung Königstein gGmbH