With the introduction of the explosive ammunition in the middle of the 1880s, a new, bombproof wartime gunpowder store was required for war. In peacetimes, the powder was stored below the fortress due to the explosion hazard. It would only be brought up here in case of a siege. In 1889, they started to build the subterranean store. In the event, approx. 7,000 cubic meters of rock were removed and a brick vault with a covering of sand, granite stamped concrete, and earth was erected.
In the 1960s, the East German Civil Defence converted the gunpowder store into a bunker with gas proof fire doors, overpressure shutters, a venting system, an emergency generator, and a water container. Numerous walls were built into the large room and these, thus, created closed areas.