Heiko Gottlöber

Gate house

Torhaus

The double curved building forms the remarkable ensemble of buildings at the fortress’ west side together with George’s Castle and the Strike Defences. It was constructed in the late 16th century above a natural crevice. The only way up to the fortress plateau runs below the Gate House and is called “Dark Ramp”. Otto Panzner, a sculptor born in Königstein, only created the relief of Augustus the Strong (1670-1733) in 1910.

The Dark Ramp
Here are, successively, important defence works for the protection of the only access: wooden gate, stone-throwing holes, machicolation, rabbeted beams, portcullis, iron gate, and caponier (French for walled passageway). In the cellars, some of them two-storeyed, stood cannons, which aimed at the fortress entrance. The Ground floor and first floor were inhabited.

The Carriage Jack
The iron carriage jack stems from 1877. Two soldiers operated its winder. It replaced a wooden jack, which had been used since 1779 to pull cannons and heavy laden wagons from the Medusa Gate up the steep paved path. That was very dangerous. Therefore, strict safety regulations were in place from 1858. The carriage jack was reconstructed in 1991.

Festung Königstein gGmbH
01824 Königstein

Phone: +49 (0)35021 64 607
info@festung-koenigstein.de

Opening hours

April - October 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
November - March 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Last admission 1 hour before closing time