Bernd Walther

Red Bridge

Rote Brücke

To protect the only access to the fortress, the first dry ditch was created below the southwest side in 1792. Over it went a wooden bridge that could be removed quickly in case of war. The fortification work’s name refers to the brickwork. Embrasures and a blocking ridge of iron pikes increased the defence capacity.

In 1886, they replaced the simple bridge by a bascule bridge: The lower iron bars were extended to the back and equipped with weights, which were adjusted to the bridge’s front weight. With a lever, the hind bars with the weights can be released. Then, they fall down and the front bridge quickly seesaws upwards.

Demonstration of how it works

On the Open Monument Day 2021, the Königstein Fortress Association demonstrated how the bridge works.

Youtube-Video

Festung Königstein gGmbH
01824 Königstein

Phone: +49 (0)35021 64 607
info@festung-koenigstein.de

Opening hours

April - October 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
November - March 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Last admission 1 hour before closing time