The Exhibition at the Well House
History of the Well and the Water Extraction
With its depth of 152.5 meters, the well at Königstein Fortress is the deepest one of its kind in Saxony and the second deepest one in Germany. It was sunk between 1566 and 1569 at the behest of Elector Augustus to secure the future fortress’s water supply. The work was done by miners from the Ore Mountains headed by their foreman Martin Planer. Their chisels’ marks are still visible in the well’s shaft.
A new model on the scale of 1:10 shows how the miners from Marienberg sank the well around 450 years ago.
The exhibition’s highlights still are the direct view into the illuminated well shaft and the demonstration of the water extraction with the old electric engine from 1911.
Trailer: Biermann-Jung Kommunikation & Film
And now this procedure may be observed from the anteroom as well: The goings-on at the well room are recorded with a camera and streamed on a large screen.
At times when there is no water extraction, a film showing a ride down the well is played. Three large screens show fascinating shots from deep down.
From the Horse Mill to the Electric Engine
When the well was finished, the water was transported upwards by means of a horse mill, as it was known in mining. Its functioning is playfully demonstrated through a model that can be moved by turning a winder.
In the 17th century, the horse mill was replaced by a treadmill with a diameter of seven meters. In it, four men had to make 28,000 steps every day to carry the ton filled with water up 36 times. A reproduction of this treadmill in the original size shows the gigantic dimensions of this water extraction technology. Additionally, an animated film illustrates the monotonous work which socagers, prisoners or garrison soldiers were obliged to do.
Later, the power for the water extraction came from a wall steam engine (from 1871) and an electric engine (from 1911). In 1967, the water extraction was abandoned and the fortress was connected to the public drinking water supply system. Since 1997, the water extraction technology is demonstrated using the restored electric engine from 1911.
Touch and Live real History
The Well House
To protect the vital water, a wooden well house was built shortly after the well was finished.
Even later buildings were only constructed in timber-frame. Had the fortress been bombarded, the well would have been destroyed.
Only the Well House built in 1735, which still exists, had an up to 4 meters strong, bomb-proof sandstone vault.
In the late 19th century, an additional subceiling of granite stamped concrete resting on steel beams was added.
Enjoy your Holidays where the Well Master used to Live
Today, the Well House offers two holiday flats (for 2-4 persons) for rent.
Infos on renting and booking